Sunday, April 6, 2014

My New Media Life

Hi All-

Welcome to my blog! Here are some reflections on how new media impacts my life.

I rely on new media everyday. If I'm not using it, I'm thinking about it. There isn't one form of new media that I use everyday except for the Internet in general. There are things that I use most days. I use Pandora in the car or when I'm cleaning. I frequently use YouTube to watch videos about the beauty industry or to learn new computer skills. Being that I've been laid off from work, I rely heavily on LinkedIn. If I'm ever waiting for someone, I scroll through Instagram. Not to mention that I'm upgrading several blogs. If I'm not using new media, I'm constructing content for my blogs in me head. New media is absolutely a part of who I am.

Social media has influenced my perception of events in a negative way. When I see amazing things on various social media outlets, I get a bit jealous. It seems like everyone is doing all of this amazing things and I'm living a boring life. I see Facebook posts about people climbing mountains or visiting foreign countries. I have to remind myself that what people post is not necessarily reflective of their actual life style or their sense of well being.  Also, some people may not follow the ethical guidelines that I hold so dear.

One positive aspect is that thanks to new media, I can stay abreast of what is going on in the local news as well as around the world just by looking at my smart phone. I realize that the news can be sensationalized so if I'm interested in a certain event, I will do more research.

That's my new media life in a nutshell. Please feel free to leave questions and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment