Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Writer's Perspective

In Inventing Life Steals Time; Living Life Begs It Back, by Jen Gish, Gish describes her thoughts about writing. Gish indicates that a writer is trapped between the real world in which one lives and the world in which one writes. She indicates that there is not time to fully embrace both. She even quite writing for a while to enjoy the real world. I understand the struggle. I have the same problem writing for my blogs. There is only so much time. As Gish mentions, in order to have something to write about, one must live life. To me, it is almost a catch 22. You cannot write something without having experienced life, but in order to fully experience life you cannot spend all of your time writing. I have taken a short hiatus from writing my blogs to get my Master’s degree, but in the back of my mind I’m always thinking, “I should be writing, I should be writing”. This constant thought keeps me from really living (Gish, 2000).
This course has not changed my perspective of the writer’s role in social media, but it has built upon it. I knew that ethics was important, but now I have a better idea of how important it is and I have more tools for maintaining my ethics as a social media writer. I knew it was important to be media literate, but now I have the knowledge needed to be even more media literate. This course took what I already knew about the social media online environment and built upon it. I am very thankful for that.
Reference:

Gish, J. (2000, December 4). Inventing Life Steals Time; Living Life Begs It Back. Retrieved June 14, 2014, from http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2000%2F12%2F04%2Farts%2F04GISH.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angelica-
    You make a great point about the struggle between experiencing life and writing about it. There is so little time in the day, and it is impossible to give our full attention to both. Real life experiences are one of the central sources of a writer's inspiration, so it is a constant battle to take in experiences while also devoting enough time to illustrate these experiences in text.
    Great post!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete